An Ode to Mothers Bygone

An Ode to Mothers Bygone
I noticed that the Queen was born the same year as my mother. My mother was very sweet, like many from her generation. Anyway, I wrote this poem last night. Hope it's appropriate.

An Ode to Mothers Bygone © Copyright 2022 by David Skerkowski.

In the range of mothers bygone
Was the kind that marked an age
Who withstood and bravely fought on
Though a war would grimly rage

Who confronted decades daunting
As but one more trying day
Who for work was seldom wanting
Taking virtue as the pay

With a smile always ready
Wide enough to heart lay bare
As a source of spirit steady
Given fervently to care

Not a shame to from the world hide
Never smoked and never swore
Said her prayers at the bedside
Knees pressed hard upon the floor

And the budding summer berries
That we picked to spite the heat
Won't without her here to share them
Measure even half as sweet

Still a piece I could recover
Should I her example live
In a kindness to another
And the given when I give


  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2022. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Drowning Howl: Sunday May 22, 2022

The Drowning Howl: Sunday June 19, 2022

The Drowning Howl: Wednesday October 26, 2022